Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hickory DIckory Dock...MKLI writing prompts

This post is inspired by the writing prompts found at Mamakatslosinit.com. The prompts are an awesome way to get through a slump when you feel like you can't find anything to write about. Write the post. Then just link back and join in the fun.

My choice this week was#1: Write a post that begins and ends with the same line. 

The clock was ticking away as I lay in bed waiting for the sounds of stirring in the rooms down the hall and the faint traces of sunlight slipping in around the closed blinds. I thought how comforting the ticking was in the otherwise quiet house.

The day took a turn for the worse while the kids were at a neighbor's birthday party. Scrooge decided he'd had enough of whatever it was pissing him off at the moment. He slammed my laptop on the floor busting it open then disassembled it to snap the hard drive, cut my purse in two, shredded the paper contents that was in the purse, and smashed the antique chair that belonged to my grandfather.  I talked about it here
This chair was the chair my grandfather and I had spent many hours in while he held me on his lap telling me stories. He was blind, but his imagination painted magical images for me. 

The broken chair hurt more than any insults could ever hurt. Now it will never hold it's special place by my Christmas tree again.

As I lay in the psych care unit, after being Baker-Acted for suicidal thoughts, all I could think about was the lost pictures and the broken chair...not the hatefullness behind what caused their demise. 

There was no TV there. No magazines to pass the time until the psychiatrist could make his rounds. Only a nurses desk and a clock. 

That clock was ticking away as I lay in bed waiting for the sounds of stirring in the rooms down the hall and the faint traces of sunlight slipping in around the closed blinds.

 

7 comments:

Dionne said...

Deep and painful, but honest. I am assuming this is true and how hard that must have been.

SisterSister said...

Yes Dionne. It is true, and it was terrible especially because it can never be replaced. I did save the pieces and a relative who does woodworking is going to make some carved Christmas tree ornaments for me.

thanks for stopping by!

Tammigirl said...

I hope you were able to get that Scrooge out of your life completely. I got him (or his identical, also-evil twin) out of mine. On two different occasions, now that I come to think of it, so I suppose they were triplets.

I wrote this earlier this week. Usually I do not post links in other people's comments... but this is meant to be:

http://ifyoucouldseewhatisee.blogspot.com/2013/03/dear-kid-at-whatever-age.html

Arnebya said...

Dammit. And I wish I were closer. I wish I could help. I wish so many things to make it better for you.

SisterSister said...

Arnebya...just that you regularly stop by here and leave your words is a big help. It feels good to know someone is listening!

Dionne said...

Hey, I just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and was wondering if you've tried almond based cheese or cashew cheese for your daughter that is allergic to dairy? I don't know if cashew cheese would be good on pizza, but it is good in other recipes.

SisterSister said...

I haven't tried those. I will definitely be googling it to see the closest place to get it around here..anything to get this child her "cheese" back :)